Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 7

Mike and I have been sober for one week! I think this is the longest I've gone without alcohol in YEARS.

After our AA meeting last night, we went out for dinner to celebrate. We've been talking a lot about how not drinking changes our relationship, changes the way we interact. Mike is a lot stronger than I am... he's always so positive. When I'm in tears, wondering how I'm going to cope, he's the one holding me in his arms, telling me that we can do this together, and that everything will be just fine.

Obviously, we have to rediscover who we are, as individuals and as a couple, without the blanket of alcohol over our minds. We have to learn how to have fun without booze. This is tough. At least we have each other... we both keep saying that neither of us could commit to sobriety the way we are without each other's support.

We bought a Wii Fit Plus yesterday... I think it will be good for us to get our bodies into shape as we get our minds and hearts back in order. Unfortunately, that stupid machine told me I should lose 10 lbs!!! Okay, okay, I have gained a few pounds since I quit smoking 6 months ago... anyhow, I'll try this Wii Fit thing and see what happens. Once the weather gets nicer (like in 6 months, stupid Minnesota), we'll be going for a lot of walks and spending more time outdoors too.

Another thing we've started doing is reading to each other from a couple of the AA devotional books: Keep It Simple and Twenty-four Hours a Day. Each one has a meditation, a thought for the day, etc. Twenty-four Hours a Day has a daily prayer, and Keep It Simple has a daily action. The funny thing was that, last night, the page Mike read was what I really needed to hear, and the page I read was something he really needed to hear. So, today I am trying to pray for faith, and Mike is trying to accept and embrace change. I hope he's doing a better job with his task than I am.

Anyhow, another sober day, and another day to relearn.

No comments:

Post a Comment